We are pleased to announce Travel Scholarships for HiPC 2019 to promote research in HiPC areas in India. We would like to encourage motivated students studying at engineering and technical colleges in India to attend the conference through these travel scholarships, provided on a merit basis. The conference will expose students to current worldwide research and enable them to interact with leading researchers in the field. The details of this year’s scholarship, including eligibility, covered expenses, compliance policies and the application form, are provided below.
Application deadline: November 4, 2019
Award announcement: November 10, 2019
Application form: HiPC 2019 Student Travel Scholarship Form
HiPC 2019 Travel Scholarships for Students from Indian Institutions
The details of this year’s scholarship, including eligibility, covered expenses and compliance policies, are provided below. Prospective applicants are requested to read them carefully. The award of the scholarship is subject to compliance of the policies as described below.
Fulltime students studying at engineering colleges and other technical educational institutions of repute in India may apply for the travel scholarships. These students must be enrolled in a 3 or 4 year Bachelor’s degree program, or a post-graduate program leading towards a Masters or a Ph.D. degree at the time of application.
A limited number of scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis. The following shall be considered (in no specific order) in determining the award:
● Authorship of a paper or poster at HiPC 2019, as part of the main program or its workshops
● Academic Record: Prior exposure to research, demonstrated through research writing and participation in other technical symposiums
Applications that do not meet the eligibility listed in the above criteria will be rejected without review.
Expenses Covered by Travel Scholarship Award
Students who are successfully awarded the Travel Scholarship will be entitled to the following benefits, provisional upon meeting the compliance policies.
Local students from institutions in Hyderabad who are awarded the scholarship will have their conference registration fee subsidised. Their fee for the conference will be reduced to Rs.500/-. However, they must pay the regular advance registration fee for students from India before the advance deadline of November 17, 2019. This lower local scholarship fee covers all events, materials, and meals that are part of the regular conference registration, as detailed below. A limited number of these local scholarships are available.
Out-station students from institutions outside of Hyderabad who are awarded the scholarship will be provided with limited support for travel and accommodation. Specifically, this will include:
● Two-way second/sleeper class train fare between your college or home and the venue of the conference, i.e., Hyderabad
● A fixed allowance of Rs.1000/= per day for four days towards accommodation and meals during the period of December 17 – December 20, 2019.
Note that all out-station students who receive the scholarship will need to have registered for the conference by paying the Advance registration fee as a Fulltime Student. This registration should be completed by November 17, 2019, the deadline for paying the lower advance fees. The reduced registration fees for India based students are made possible through sponsorships from India-based industries and organizations. For more detailed information on registration, including fees and deadlines, visit the Registration page.
The scholarship for out-station students will cover only travel and accommodations as outlined below. Disbursement of the funds is subject to the compliance policies described below.
The registration fees paid by the students will include:
● Admission to all HiPC 2019 events
● Breakfast, lunch and refreshments provided at the conference venue on all four days
● Admission to the conference banquet and cultural event
● Access to the online proceedings
Compliance Policies for Disbursement of Scholarship
The scholarship is awarded to provide motivated students the opportunity to attend the HiPC conference, learn the state-of-the-art in the field, and interact with researchers and their peers. To this end, we expect students to comply with certain policies to ensure that the award is not misused, and students benefit from the technical forum.
The following conditions must be met for the disbursement of the scholarship:
● Students will be required to attend all HiPC sessions and sign an attendance sheet, if available, in each session.
● Students are also strongly encouraged to visit industry exhibitor booths.
● At the end of the day, students are to turn in a one page report of the sessions they attended and exhibitor booths they visited. The report shall list the talks attended by the students in each session, highlights of what they have gained from that session, list any questions or interaction they had with speakers, and so on. This daily report is to be handed in at the registration desk at the end of each day.
● The students need to actively participate in HiPC sessions,including student specific activities which will be organized.
● Students will be reimbursed their travel expenses on the last day of the conference. They must complete the travel reimbursement form available at the registration desk during the conference before the expenses will be paid. Out-station students will need to provide the original train ticket for the inward journey and a photocopy of the ticket for the outward journey. Please do not surrender your ticket at the railway station.
● All students must present a currently valid photo-identity card issued by their institution.
● If students are unable to attend sessions on all four days of the conference, they need to contact the Scholarships Chair to explain their absence.
While we expect the highest standards from the students in keeping with the spirit of the conference, any violation of these policies, misuse/abuse of the funds, or improper behavior by any awardee, will result in cancellation of the scholarship and the travel expenses will not be reimbursed. Further action, as deemed necessary, may also be taken, such as barring them from future HiPC conferences, reporting the incident to the head of their institution, or otherwise appropriate action. All students who apply for a scholarship do so with the understanding that they will be attending as a representative of their institution and that their conduct reflects on their fellow students and the faculty of that institution.