HiPC Trust, India and Industry Partners
We are pleased to announce travel scholarships for HiPC 2018. We encourage motivated students studying at engineering and technical colleges in India to attend the conference through these travel scholarships, which will be provided based on merit. The conference will expose students to current worldwide research and enable them to interact with leading researchers in the field. The details of this year’s scholarship, including eligibility, covered expenses, conditions of award, and the application form, are provided below.
Application deadline: November 14, 2018
Award announcement: November 19, 2018
Full-time students studying at engineering colleges and other technical educational institutions in India may apply for the travel scholarships. These students must be enrolled in a 3 or 4 year Bachelor’s degree program, or a post-graduate program leading towards a Masters or a Ph.D. degree at the time of application. Note that meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee selection for an award.
Several scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis. The following criteria will be considered in the selection process.
• Authorship of a paper or poster at HiPC 2018, as part of the main program, its workshops, or Student Research Symposium.
• Academic Record: Prior exposure to research, demonstrated through research writing and participation in other technical symposiums.
Expenses Covered by Travel Scholarship Award
Awards will partially cover the cost of attending the conference. Students who are awarded a travel scholarship will be entitled to the following benefits, provided they meet the award conditions.
Local students from institutions in Bengaluru who are awarded the scholarship will have their conference registration fee subsidised. Their fee for the conference will be reduced to Rs.500/=. However, they must pay the regular advance registration fee for students from India before the advance deadline of November 21, 2018. This lower local scholarship fee covers all events, materials, and meals that are part of the regular conference registration.
Out-station students from institutions outside of Bengaluru who are awarded the scholarship will be provided with partial support for travel and accommodations. Specifically, this will include:
• Two-way second/sleeper class train fare between your college or home in India and the venue of the conference – Bengaluru.
• A fixed allowance of Rs. 500 to help cover some incidental expenses during the trip.
• Depending up availability of resources, the conference may be able to subsidize accommodations. However, students should not count on this support, and should make arrangements for affordable accommodations near the venue, or they may arrange to share accommodations with another student at the conference hotel.
Note that all out-station students who receive the scholarship will need to have registered for the conference by paying the Advance registration fee as a Fulltime Student. This registration should be completed by November 21, 2018, the deadline for paying the lower advance fees. The reduced registration fees for India based students are made possible through sponsorships from India-based industries and organizations. For more detailed information on registration, including fees and deadlines, visit the Registration page here.
The scholarship for out-station students will cover only travel and accommodations as outlined below. Disbursement of the funds – for reimbursement of expenses – is subject to the compliance policies described below.
Award Conditions for Disbursement of Scholarship
The scholarship is awarded to provide motivated students the opportunity to attend the HiPC conference, learn the state-of-the-art in the field, and interact with researchers and their peers. To this end, we expect students to comply with certain policies to ensure that the award is not misused, and students benefit from the technical forum.
The following conditions must be met for the disbursement of the scholarship:
• Students will be required to attend all HiPC sessions and sign an attendance sheet, if available, in each session.
• Students are required to visit industry exhibitor booths.
• At the end of each day, students are to turn in a one-page report of the sessions they attended and exhibitor booths they visited. The report should list the talks attended by the students in each session, summarize what they have gained from that session, list any questions or interaction they had with speakers, and so on. This daily report is to be handed in at the registration desk at the end of each day.
• The students need to actively participate in HiPC sessions, including student specific activities that will be organized.
• Students will be reimbursed their travel expenses on the last day of the conference. They must complete the travel reimbursement form available at the registration desk during the conference before the expenses will be paid. Out-station students will need to provide the original train ticket for the inward journey and a photocopy of the ticket for the outward journey. Please do not surrender your ticket at the railway station.
• All students must present a currently valid photo-identity card issued by their institution.
• If students are unable to attend sessions on all four days of the conference, they need to contact the Scholarships Chairs to explain their absence.
As we expect the highest standards from the students in keeping with the spirit of the conference, any of violation of these policies, misuse/abuse of the funds, or improper behavior by any awardee, will result in cancellation of the scholarship, and the travel expenses will not be reimbursed. Further action, as deemed necessary, may also be taken, such as barring them from future HiPC conferences, reporting the incident to the head of their institution, or other appropriate action. All students who apply for a scholarship do so with the understanding that they will be attending as a representative of their institution and that their conduct reflects on their fellow students and the faculty of that institution.
We will accept scholarship applications until November 14, 2018 and announce the first batch of awardees by November 19, 2018. As specified above, all students must register online by the Advance Fee registration deadline of November 21, 2018. Failure to do this will cause the award to be withdrawn to allow another student to benefit.
To apply for HiPC 2018 Travel Scholarship for Students Based in India, complete the application form here.